Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Anniversary Wreath

Not everything was the same as it was when I returned from Guatemala. For instance, my husband rearranged our entire living room. Another example - the extreme humidity from the laundry room next door caused the command hook supporting my button wreath to detach. Consequently, the great button wreath is in pieces in my closet.

My front door was barren and empty. And all the Pinteresting in the world did not help me come up with an idea for a festive summer wreath. Let's be honest - there are only three major holidays in the summer: my birthday, my grandfather's birthday, and my dad's birthday. But recently, I also celebrated my anniversary. With that in mind, I decided to tackle one of my biggest unsolved dilemmas - what to do with over 100 embroidery hoops from our reception?!

This wreath was created with two embroidery hoops from our wedding, some of the lace that filled them, one of the little birds used to decorate the sanctuary, and a couple of button flowers. First, I filled the larger, 12" hoop.


Then I placed the smaller 10" hoop on the 12" hoop in order to estimate where I should cut.


I made a simple "X" pattern in the lace with a pair of scissors based on my estimation.

I added the inner portion of the embroidery hoop on top of the lace, while the outer portion remained below. This is opposite of how you would normally load one.


After trimming the inside portion, I had an orange lace embroidery hoop wreath!

One of my favorite crafts for the wedding was creating button-nieres for the men in the wedding party. I had quite a few buttons left over from my button bouquet stash, so I used them to create a complementary boutonniere. Below, I tried to demonstrate the size of wire and button pairings. The wire is simply run through the button holes and twisted tightly behind them. After that, you can add wire leaves, beaded accessories, etc. I recommend making sure that you wrap all your additions to your "flower" in the same direction as the "stem" is twisted.



I attached my the bird (from Hobby Lobby, similar to these) and the flowers with a little bit of wire. The masterpiece is now hanging from an over-the-door wreath hook. No more accidents.






Sweet, simple, and bright for summer. Not to mention the romantic nostalgia...


I had all of these supplies on hand, so I can't give the cost break-down. I imagine that this could be accomplished easily for under $10 if you have none of the supplies on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment