Monday, August 18, 2014

Dragon Pencil Case


One of my favorite movies OF ALL TIME EVER is How to Train Your Dragon. Imagine my excitement when the sequel came out: How to Train Your Dragon 2. How can you not love a dragon that can give some perfect side eye??


For some reason, stores carry HtTYD2 backpacks, lunch boxes, tiny figurines, but no pencil cases. I found a promotional bag in the $2 aisle of Target. Inspiration struck. Let's get down to the crafting! The image below shows the bag, a 7" zipper, self-adhesive black felt, and gold spandex. I wound up not using the gold spandex. It's surprisingly saddening.


First, I trimmed the bag down, centering the dimensions (7.5" x 4.5") on Toothless (the black dragon). I also cut the felt to match those dimensions. The inside material of the bag is canvas-like material.

The felt is the inside layer of this pencil case. The best part of adhesive felt is that there is no work to tack it to the outside layer.



The only details on assembly involve the zipper. I use two seams to sew the panels of the bag to the zipper. On the first, I pair the outside of the bag to the outside of the zipper and sew as close to the zipper as possible.


Once this is done, I flip the zipper under and stitch on top of the panel along the outermost edge of the zipper.


This helps hold the zipper in place and I think the extra detail makes the bag cuter.

Repeat for the other panel.

The rest is just some easy stitching. Pair the outsides together and stitch the 3 sides closed. Then flip it right side out and enjoy the cuteness.

I'm very excited to deploy this much fierce adorableness on my first day of second year!
I might have a small obsession.

Here's the breakdown:
Bag: $2.00
Zipper: $1.76
All other supplies on hand: $0.00
TOTAL: $3.76

I daresay Toothless would approve.





No comments:

Post a Comment