Saturday, February 1, 2014

Date Jar

Tonight, I finally tackled a project that the husband and I have discussed for a couple weeks. During the school year, he and I are both busy. We both have classes, I have curricular and extracurriculars after class, and he works a part-time job most evenings.

After some time, we realized that we weren't really getting enough quality time, and that we were bored when we did find something to do together. He just wants me to tell him where I want to go, and I just don't want to have to make more decisions. So we decided on a date jar! We both put in suggestions for our next date, and we can pull out one when we are too exhausted to come up with something new. It's also a great way to keep track of all those restaurants you pass and want to try.

Supplies: Old peanut canister, colored paper, Modge Podge, extra ribbon (optional), sharpie and gel pen

It all started with these nut canisters I stashed away with the excuse that I would *totally* find something to do with them.

 
 First step was to remove the current label: 


Then, I designed a label using some colored printer paper that I had laying around. It was too short to wrap all the way around the canister, so I made a smaller piece and decided to cover the 'seams' with some ribbon I had used to relace a pair of oxford boots. The design on the paper is inspired by Sweet Verbena's "Birds On A Wire Art" tutorial:





It probably took me less than a minute to draw the lines and the birds. As I said, the paper wasn't long enough, so I added ribbon trim to cover up the seams where I added an insert that said "DATES" :


Everything was attached with Modge Podge to the canister, even the ribbon. Once I trimmed the ribbon down, it was time to add some dates!


It was my husband's idea to have some element of surprise, so we decided to add a few symbols on the outside of the dates to give us an idea of whether this date met our needs for the week. Money is represented as cheap to expensive, weather-dependent will be labeled with the conditions needed, time commitment is given by the clock, and the crummy mug is my attempt at hinting at drinks. We write the restaurant/date inside, then fold it in half, so only the symbols show. Here is an example of our favorite 'fancy' restaurant, the Red 7:


So there it is! An easy date jar. I've seen some Pinterest ideas that recommend following date jar cards militantly, but as students, Chris and I need more flexibility. If we don't like the date we pulled, we put it back in the jar. If we really enjoyed the date and want to do it again, we'll put it back in the jar.


I like having it out in the open (this is in the corner of our dining area). It reminds me every day that romance needs to occur daily.

Cost: $0.00

Total cost if you have no supplies on hand: $18.70
Jar of mixed nuts - $5ish, plus some man hours
Modge Podge - $4.86
Paper - $5.84
Ribbon - $3ish

No comments:

Post a Comment